httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Simplifying mod_alias
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2014 08:29:25 GMT
On 27 Jan 2014, at 9:58 AM, Thomas Eckert <thomas.r.w.eckert@gmail.com> wrote:

> When doing this please keep in mind there is a huge amount of users out there who are
not developers and who will struggle with something like

> > <LocationMatch ^/foo/(?<bar>[^/]+)>
> >   Alias /var/lib/%{env:MATCH_BAR}/baz
> >   …stuff...
> > </LocationMatch>

Why would they struggle any more than this, which is what they would need to do for the same
config today?

AliasMatch ^/foo/(?<bar>[^/]+) /var/lib/${1}/baz
<LocationMatch ^/foo/(?<bar>[^/]+)>
   …stuff...
</LocationMatch>

> As long as they are reusing the same code under the hood, I don't think there is anything
wrong with having redundant directives whose only purpose is to have easier-to-read configurations.

They're not reusing the same code under the hood, the code that performs the Location handling
and the code that matches the Aliases are different code, and in today's code, the Alias is
almost always followed by a Location directive matching the same URL space.

That said there are two problems being solved here.

One is a performance problem, which is a nice but not critical. The second more important
problem is that I am hearing from more and more people that httpd has too many directives
- they look at httpd and they don't know where to start.

Existing configurations as I said will still work, they would just be deprecated. But the
long term goal would be to remove the duplicated functionality and slim down the server, with
a trimmer, cleaner server in a v3.x timeframe.

Regards,
Graham