httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: mod_fcgid and streaming large request bodies
Date Sat, 28 Dec 2013 03:47:21 GMT
On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be quite valuable if there is a limit on how much can be pre-read
> (0 for pure streaming).  Pre-reading the request body reduces the number of
> application processes or threads required, and they are usually fatter
> (sometimes dramatically so) than httpd workers.  While the current
> implementation is truly ridiculous, there's some goodness that could be
> kept.  I'll try to look through this in the next few days and see if it is
> practical to keep the best of both versions.  If no round tuits are
> available we should at least proceed with this, perhaps changing the
> directive syntax to allow a hybrid implementation in the future with no
> legacy cruft.  (Wild suggestion: FcgiPreReadRequestBody
> Off|On|Unlimited|nnnnK, where On is <default>K)

I definitely agree that doing some type of pre-read may be often
useful before we start sending stuff via FastCGI.  Yet, the current
code structure doesn't lend itself to that very well - I guess what we
could do is convert the IPC to be opened lazily rather than always
open it.  If we do that, then I think the code changes would be
manageable.  (In our use case, reading the first say 64KB into RAM is
fine, but we definitely want to avoid spooling to disk.)

I'll see if I can find some round tuits...

Cheers.  -- justin