httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject OT (Was: Re: Ceph patches for httpd)
Date Sun, 29 Dec 2013 15:16:11 GMT
It is for reasons like this that I tend to dislike Github,
simply because it creates this mentality...

What mentality you may say? The mentality to work separate
from the community. I am sure that there are useful things
in this repo, but instead of working w/ us, and making
us aware of them, they instead just spin out something
separate. Why?

IMO, this tendency to "do your own thing" is one reason
why BSD failed while Linux succeeded... The result is
a *more* fragmented community, not a more cohesive and
collaborative one.

combination with radosgw (S3 endpoint) - (see https://github.com/ceph/apache2).

> One of them is to allow Content-Length of '0' to be emitted from HEAD requests:
>
> https://github.com/ceph/apache2/commit/0d9948f1e483386adef0841896484db8422127b2
>
> The use case here is that someone could store a zero-byte file inside of radosgw.  Amazon's
S3 clients expect to see a Content-Length on HEAD requests - IOW, they don't infer the lack
of a Content-Length as being '0'.  If we weren't comfortable allowing this as a default, I'm
guessing that we could expose this as a directive override.

> The other patch is to relax some of the checks around Expect headers as not all S3 clients
emit compliant headers:

> https://github.com/ceph/apache2/commit/5ae1b4a081b05fcacf55e7114eec87d9b2a0a5da
>
> Again, I guess that we could apply a directive here to relax the check.
>
> If we go the directive route, both are relatively easy to whip up patches for, but I
wanted to get some feedback before I commit anything to trunk.