httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: mod_proxy: maximum hostname length for workers
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2013 14:35:02 GMT
Yeah, it's basically for performance and storage reasons (since those
strings are stored in shm)... Nowadays I don't think shm is such an
expensive commodity, though I can imagine some setups where the
default sizes allowed by the kernel could be kinda small.

I'd be +1 in adjusting all of those fields bigger, but I'm guessing
that constitutes an API change for proxy...

On Nov 8, 2013, at 5:17 AM, Thomas Eckert <> wrote:

> I'm looking at an issue with this log message
>   AH00526: Syntax error on line 6 of myconfig.conf: BalancerMember worker hostname (
too long
> with the root cause being (modules/proxy/mod_proxy.h)
> and I'm wondering why this is. I did not see any comments on why there is this limit,
so I assume it's for performance reasons.
> Also, I'm wondering what the implications (if any) of altering this limit are.

View raw message