httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Kaluža <jkal...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: error log providers, multiple vhosts, mod_syslog
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2013 12:09:19 GMT
On 11/07/2013 11:11 AM, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 12:33:50PM +0000, Plüm, Rüdiger, Vodafone Group wrote:
>> Hmm. This points out another issue when using an error log provider for the main
server log:
>> We lose everything that the server or other programs like CGI-scripts write to the
stderr FD as it
>> is simply written to /dev/null. Don't we need to have a separate process in this
case that
>> like a piped logger reads from the reading end of the "stderr pipe" and writes it
>> via ap_server_conf->errorlog_provider->writer to the log?
>
> Jumping in here...
>
> Actually there should be few cases where modules write to stderr, no?
> I'm not sure we should even consider "writes to stderr get logged" a
> valid part of the module API.  "If you're not using ap_log_*error,
> you're out of luck" is not totally unreasonable.
>
> mod_cgi does intercept stderr and logs it properly via ap_log_rerror,
> and mod_cgid does stderr logging differently anyway.
>
> One case which is common is the use of apr_procattr_child_errfn_set() to
> write exec() errors to stderr after forking a child.  But perhaps we
> could and should provide a single common implementation of that which
> does something more useful.
>
> With "ErrorLog syslog" in current 2.x (and 1.3?), stderr is /dev/null
> already, so the status quo is that we lose stuff, though that is kind of
> ugly.

Reading this I think I could commit my httpd-trunk-stderr-provider.patch
from older email in this thread. It does not fix stderr logging, but it
fixes httpd-trunk problem where messages with NULL server_rec* are not
logged.

I'm attaching better version of that patch here (it fixes potential
crash pointed out by Rüdiger when both logf and error_log_provider are
NULL).

If anyone is against it or has better idea how to fix logging of
messages with NULL server_rec* when log providers are used, tell me.

> Regards, Joe

Regards,
Jan Kaluza