httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Bert Huijben" <b...@qqmail.nl>
Subject RE: Playing with cmake: LONG_NAME= problems
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2013 21:10:46 GMT
                Hi Jeff,

 

Thanks for looking into this.

 

I tried the Visual Studio 9 and Visual Studio 11 generators in both standard
Win32 and x64 forms. Both of these have similar problems even though the
first uses .vcproj files and the late .vcxproj files.

 

The cmake generated code is accepted by the resource compiler argument
parser but then fails during the resource compile stage.

 

It appears that the code does work for some cases where the long name only
contains a single word, but it always fails when there are multiple words.

 

                Bert

 

From: Jeff Trawick [mailto:trawick@gmail.com] 
Sent: maandag 18 november 2013 19:22
To: Apache HTTP Server Development List
Subject: Re: Playing with cmake: LONG_NAME= problems

 

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Bert Huijben <bert@qqmail.nl
<mailto:bert@qqmail.nl> > wrote:

        Hi,

As I already mentioned I'm re-scripting my build of httpd to work using the
new cmake generator.

It looks like I have things working now, with about half as many local
patches as before..., but I think one problem I had to patch around will be
common for everybody using project files for Visual Studio 2005 and later:

 

I don't doubt it, but just for fun: Exactly which generator/studio version
were you using, in case I have a problem reproducing?

 

The very ugly escaping of the LONG_NAME= argument.

E.g. CMakeLists.txt contains:

SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES(${mod_name} PROPERTIES COMPILE_FLAGS
"-DLONG_NAME=\"\\\"${mod_name} for Apache HTTP Server\\\"\"
-DBIN_NAME=${mod_name}.so ${EXTRA_COMPILE_FLAGS}")

The long name value is then later generated in project files, but
differently for the C compiler and the RC (=resource) compiler. This
resource compiler doesn't like the way the value is generated, and just
handles the value literally... And then generates parser errors.

In Subversion where we used this same pattern for years, we avoided all the
'"' escaping problems by using the APR_STRINGIFY() macro. That allows simply
passing the value.

 

We do that two, though with a little indirection:

 

#define LONG_NAME_STR APR_STRINGIFY(LONG_NAME)

#define BIN_NAME_STR APR_STRINGIFY(BIN_NAME)

 

      VALUE "FileDescription", LONG_NAME_STR "\0"

      VALUE "FileVersion", AP_SERVER_BASEREVISION "\0"

      VALUE "InternalName", BIN_NAME_STR "\0"

      VALUE "LegalCopyright", AP_SERVER_COPYRIGHT "\0"

      VALUE "OriginalFilename", BIN_NAME_STR "\0"

 

I guess the LONG_NAME definition set in CMakeLists.txt doesn't need to try
to put literal quotes there.

 


E.g.

BEGIN
  BLOCK "StringFileInfo"
  BEGIN
    BLOCK "040904B0"
    BEGIN
      VALUE "CompanyName", "http://subversion.apache.org/\0
<http://subversion.apache.org/0> "
      VALUE "FileDescription", APR_STRINGIFY(SVN_FILE_DESCRIPTION) "\0"
      VALUE "FileVersion", SVN_VER_NUMBER "\0"
      VALUE "InternalName", "SVN\0"
      VALUE "LegalCopyright", "Copyright (c) The Apache Software
Foundation\0"
      VALUE "OriginalFilename", APR_STRINGIFY(SVN_FILE_NAME) "\0"
      VALUE "ProductName", "Subversion\0"
      VALUE "ProductVersion", SVN_VERSION "\0"
#ifdef SVN_SPECIALBUILD
      VALUE "SpecialBuild", SVN_SPECIALBUILD "\0"
#endif
    END
  END
  BLOCK "VarFileInfo"
  BEGIN
     VALUE "Translation", 0x409, 1200
  END
END

I've fixed the problem for me with a local hack, but I think many future
users of the cmake build scripts would be very happy if this problem could
be fixed in the standard scripts.


In my case that would allow me to reduce my own patches, to cmake specific
things. (E.g. I like to have .pdb files even for the fully optimized builds,
and cmake doesn't support that scenario)

        Bert









 

-- 
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/


Mime
View raw message