httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Ruggeri <DRugg...@primary.net>
Subject Re: Exposing more loggable data from the proxy
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2013 17:46:38 GMT
On 10/25/2013 8:16 AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> (unrefined, right out of my ...  head)

:-)

> useful to have a convention (if not API) for how this info is made
> available for logging, etc., so that other modules can play the same
> game (e.g., mod_jk, FastCGI, whatever)

I think what I'd be proposing is to follow in the footsteps that mod_ssl
set but MAKE it the general convention. A lot of env variables are
available so you can do all sorts of stuff. The *other* convention could
simply be the notes mechanism but I think there's better ways. In any
event, there should be some good documentation to let server admins know
what's available - that's the main reason I even suggested adding a
directive (so the list of ENV entries are exposed like mod_ssl has
documented)

> what about a plugin with optional functions that has APIs for
> recording backend state that is meaningful across variety of "gateway"
> modules?  for now maybe it is just for logging, but it could save in
> shared memory for extraction in mod_status or other reports
>
> maybe that solution is a bit farfetched, but I guess the theme is that
> creating a proxy-specific solution can be a wasted effort given the
> same need for any number of other "gateway" modules

The main reason I lean toward env is because a few modules already use
env variables in meaningful ways today (big use-cases for me are log,
rewrite, headers, expr).
So... in that case, I think unrefined kinda works in our favor.

On 10/25/2013 9:10 AM, Yann Ylavic wrote:
> How about setting backend->r to r->backend (when applyable)?

At a cursory look, that'd probably suffice if I wanted to log FROM
mod_proxy. I wasn't clear, but my initial goal was to just add a
%{proxy_addr_family}e chunk in the access log format so the request and
target info is handy on a single line. As mentioned to Jeff, I'd also
like a little more utility from the work involved. Plus, as you say, I
haven't looked to see how well those lifecycles mesh.

On 10/25/2013 9:21 AM, Eric Covener wrote:
> I think the how simple the data is compared to that underlying
> structure, I would rather see it in a flat table that other proxy-like
> things could emulate.  Similar to SSL variables.

That was kind of the idea... the stuff I'm looking for is pretty basic
but I wanted to shoot an email along the lines of, "Anyone else want a
beer while I'm in the fridge?" to see if there were some other
attributes that are worth gathering. And yes, SSL led me to the suggestion.

--
Daniel Ruggeri