httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release mod_fcgid 2.3.8
Date Sun, 29 Sep 2013 23:36:28 GMT
On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Steffen <info@apachelounge.com> wrote:
>

>> Becoming dramatic here, already running over 30 processes. Running out of
>> memory this way.
>>

>> All time high here is 5 processes, and while writing this mail it is
>> already 34 and all 34 have an entry in the mod_status page.
>>
>> Also looks like it is not stopping/killing processes any more, have
>> entries with 1784 seconds idle (FcgidIdleTimeout is default, 300)
>>
>> Going back to 2.3.7 at AL.
>>

>> On Sunday 29/09/2013 at 21:15, Steffen  wrote:
>>

>>> Observe a different behavior compared to 2.3.7
>>>

>>> - It spawns a lot more mod_fcgid processes, looks like vhost is in
>>> charge (mod_fcgid only global defined here)
>>>
>>> - I see in Windows taskmanager and  in mod_status 5 processes and the
>>> error log says that the are 3 started, a mismatch.
>>>
>>> - Also different in mod_status page, see more then one entry for
>>> Process: php-cgi.exe
>>>
>>> With 2.3.8 splitted now :
>>>
>>> Total FastCGI processes: 5
>>> Process: php-cgi.exe  (d:/servers/apache/php/php-**cgi.exe)
>>> Pid    Active    Idle    Accesses    State
>>> 4620    487    43    17    Ready
>>> Process: php-cgi.exe  (d:/servers/apache/php/php-**cgi.exe)
>>> Pid    Active    Idle    Accesses    State
>>> 3840    515    109    5    Ready
>>> Process: php-cgi.exe  (d:/servers/apache/php/php-**cgi.exe)
>>> Pid    Active    Idle    Accesses    State
>>> 6552    557    456    6    Ready
>>> Process: php-cgi.exe  (d:/servers/apache/php/php-**cgi.exe)
>>> Pid    Active    Idle    Accesses    State
>>> 3204    1962    7    187    Ready
>>> 5036 2143 17    192    Ready
>>>

>>> With 2.3.7 was only one entry, like:
>>>
>>> Process: php-cgi.exe  (d:/servers/apache/php/php-**cgi.exe)
>>> Pid    Active    Idle    Accesses    State
>>> 3204    1962    7    187    Ready
>>> 5036 2143 17    192    Ready
>>>
>>> Not really trust 2.3.8 (yet), give me a few days to observe more.
>>>

> Thanks, Steffen.  I'll try to reproduce soon and see which commit changed
> that.  (Maybe 1377398?)

So far I've only set up a simple test...  Simple perl FastCGI script, ab -n
200000 -c 20, default main vhost configuration, this for the vhost:

<VirtualHost *:8082>
FCGIDCmdOptions /home/trawick/myhg/apache/fcgid/apps/altinfo.pl \
    InitialEnv VHOST=any \
    InitialEnv PERL5LIB=/home/trawick/perl5/lib/perl5
</VirtualHost>

2.3.7 grows up to about 12 (vs. max 20 concurrent clients).
2.3.8 grows up to about 20.

I got both the fastest and slowest times for 200,000 requests using 2.3.8.
 Generally I suspect 2.3.7 is slightly faster, but I don't have a good
overall summary.

If you're using FcgidCmdOptions, I'd recommend using the MaxProcesses
parameter to something that your system can handle.  Otherwise, see
FcgidMaxProcesses and FcgidMaxProcessesPerClass.  Regardless of 2.3.7 or
2.3.8.

Still, for this simple scenario + configuration, 2.3.7 would have been
better (generally not worse performance, uses 40% fewer processes).
 Different scenarios would have different results, but I think that the
common, fat PHP processes would have bigger problems with 2.3.8 if there is
no reasonable configured limit on the max to spawn.

Does anyone else have time to play?