httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Kyle Hamilton <kya...@kyanha.net>
Subject Re: Using AcceptEx on Windows
Date Sat, 14 Sep 2013 18:26:31 GMT
tl;dr version:

Calling WSAIoctl is necessary and useful in certain circumstances to
reduce duplicate work performed on every AcceptEx call (i.e., AcceptEx
calls WSAIoctl on every call, to ensure that the proper implementation
of AcceptEx for the given socket through the proper network provider
is property routed).

Calling WSAIoctl and using AcceptEx through the pointer returned
bypasses this duplicate work.  But, if httpd ever allows a single
instance to be used across multiple network providers (my presumption
is, like IPv4 and IPv6), this duplicate work cannot be avoided, and so
it's easiest and most effective to simply use AcceptEx without the
pointer and let the system figure out how to route it.

This is digested solely from documentation, and I have done no testing
of the assumptions or validity of the documentation.

-Kyle H