httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Reser <...@reser.org>
Subject Re: will anyone build httpd/apr with cmake on Windows?
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2013 23:52:25 GMT
On 8/30/13 5:25 AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> I will be throwing a bit more time at the cmake effort in the short term,
> starting with comparing the installed artifacts with those of existing Windows
> builds and adding missing pieces to the todo lists.  I might not do much else
> proactively until my own use of the builds catches up and starts to exceed what
> is implemented.

I'd be interested in using it, but haven't gotten around to looking at it yet.
 I have a perl script that builds httpd along with a bunch of other things that
Subversion needs on Windows.

Without a doubt the biggest pain in doing so has always been httpd and its
dependencies.

The existing project file method has the following issues for me:

* Not all versions of VC have good support for converting projects from the
command line, some of them fail with cryptic errors.  Fortunately  VC2012
finally does this fairly well...  But, the Express version won't convert at all
from the command line.  This means it's almost impossible to fully script the
build.

* There are a lot of things that have to be done for fixing the existing
project files to work properly with a current tool chain on Windows.  Fixing
them in the GUI isn't too hard, but it's a manual process.  I'm not 100% sure
the hacks I've written to modify the files in place are really correct.  The
build falls apart all over the place due to shared intermediary directories and
I've played whack-a-mole fixing it because what fails is random.

Beyond time the biggest barrier for me messing with this is that I primarily
care about release builds on Windows.  I only really build Subversion on
Windows (even that is pretty sporadic) and I don't ever hack on things over
there, just simply test releases.