httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <>
Subject Re: DefaultRuntimeDir
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2013 13:05:43 GMT
On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Jim Jagielski <> wrote:

> The 2.4 STATUS file has:
>    * opinion on more complete DefaultRuntimeDir use in 2.4.x?
>      o If a module has a config directive for the run-time file that
>        treats the configured path as relative to server root, preserve
>        that behavior but change the location when not configured to
>        respect DefaultRuntimeDir.  With these changes, users with no
>        per-runtime-file configuration directives can control
>        everything with DefaultRuntimeDir.
>        BUT: Existing users of DefaultRuntimeDir might get a short-term
> scare
>        when some unconfigured run-time file starts respecting their
>        DefaultRuntimeDir directive after an upgrade.
>        +1: trawick, jim, rjung
>        rjung: applicable trunk revisions WITHOUT the compatibility tweaks
>               described above:
>           scoreboard         r1369477
>           core/pid file      r1369808
>           core/mutex         r1370288
>           mod_socache_XXX    r1370225, r1407385
>           mod_ldap           r1371684
>           mod_cache          r1407381
>           mod_slotmem_plain  r1370763
>         igalic: We have three votes, what's the status here?
>        Independently, backport any doc tweaks to 2.4 API migration page.
> To be honest, I also wonder what the status of this is...
> I'd like to have the 1st 3 in 2.4, but am unsure what is
> required, if anything, to make it acceptable. Is it just
> the "preserve" line?

I think that we've already backported everything we can without risking a
change in the meaning of someone's configuration.  DefaultRuntimeDir
can/should be used for new additions to 2.4 when appropriate, but these
remaining ones are dangerous without some 2.4-specific mitigation.

I'll try to look through this in the next day to see if there is some
mitigation we can do to allow the feature without breaking any current 2.4
behavior.  I fear that a "safe" implementation would require some explicit
opt-in for these remaining features, and a config that did the opt-in could
then move all the runtime files just by changing DefaultRuntimeDir.

Born in Roswell... married an alien...

View raw message