httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Dropping the E-word from mod_lua (SFW)
Date Sat, 10 Aug 2013 11:14:17 GMT
On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Daniel Gruno <rumble@cord.dk> wrote:

> Hi dev@,
> Though this is mainly a question for docs@, I thought I'd drop this
> email into the dev@ list instead, since this is where I think
> objections, if there are any, will arise.
>
> Today, on various Internet channels, I have had to do my very best to
> defend the use of mod_lua, ranging from people asking if it's safe to
> use to people claiming that it should never be used in a production
> environment. Why? because of one word in particular: Experimental.
>
> In our documentation, we write the following:
> ----
> mod_lua is still in experimental state. Until it is declared stable,
> usage and behavior may change at any time, even between stable releases
> of the 2.4.x series. Be sure to check the CHANGES file before upgrading.
> ----
>
> To a committer/programmer, this may seem totally sane, but to a user of
> httpd - and I sincerely hope that users are our aim in the documentaion
> - this wording screams "BACK OFF, this may explode at any given time!".
> As a "long time" developer and user of httpd/mod_lua for both personal
> and professional sites/manoeuvres/jobs, I find it sad that I have to
> defend a module in otherwise perfect working condition with no
> discernible faults at all, simply because of a wording that scares off
> regular users of httpd. So I'd really like to change the wording into
> something less scary, so users can both know that it's still in a
> development phase, but it won't blow up your computer or spread germs if
> you use it on a production server.
>
> I'd like to change the note to something along these lines:
> ----
> mod_lua is in a state of continuous development. Usage
> and behavior is subject to change at any time, even between stable
> releases of the 2.4.x series. Be sure to check the CHANGES file before
> upgrading
> ----

That text sounds fine but I don't see that as being reassuringly
non-"Experimental" from the point of an enterprise distributor or a site
administrator.  Given that declaration, it would be naive to make your
production site dependent on a fair amount of interesting code for mod_lua
unless you think you can drop everything to tweak your scripts in order to
pick up a httpd security fix at some arbitrary future time, or you can
watch mod_lua development steadily to be prepared ahead of time.  "Status:
Experimental" is the flag we have to say "watch out for this module", which
seems appropriate still.

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/