httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: Whereforeartthou, 2.5.0?
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2013 17:37:20 GMT

On Jul 10, 2013, at 1:12 PM, "William A. Rowe Jr." <> wrote:
> What does the question of how long can a prospective RM hold that baton
> before it becomes an excessive period of time (being the act of one
> committer, whether that is you or I or another, which prevents others
> from offering to do so in a more timely manner)...

That is total hogwash. If someone wants to take on the RM
position and someone has currently "volunteered" for it, then
raise the question on the list. Example:

 Bill: Jim, I see you have volunteered to release 2.4.5 but
       it's not out yet.

 Jim: Yes, I was hoping for a more "complete" 2.4.5. release.

 Bill: I see. But I think we should have it out now. Would you
       mind pushing one out or if I take over as RM for this release.

 Jim: Not at all. I'll do a T&R in 24hr (or whatever).

Whatever it's worth, I've been trying to push a 2.4.5 out since
late May, and if you look at the threads, you'll see that it
resulted in a suite of work done in pushing code from trunk to
2.4, including security stuff. It's not like it wasn't released
because someone "dropped the ball" but instead because I was waiting
for the balls to settle down. And, imo, the 2.4.5 that we will release
now is much better than the one we would have released ~1 month ago.

What ever happened to "We release when it's ready"? And trusting the
RM to make that determination. If your idea of "its ready" is
different than mine, then there are ways of handling that (it's
called "communication") other than adding layers of procedures.

And I must say again, the "problem" isn't the RM or the RM
process itself; it's the backporting process which is currently
holding things back. (imo of course).
View raw message