httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Whereforeartthou, 2.5.0?
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2013 19:30:30 GMT
On 10 Jul 2013, at 8:19 AM, "William A. Rowe Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> Fellow PMC folk...
>
> I think everyone on this list can agree that the pace of releases has
> slowed to a crawl; we are 6+ mos between releases of our active/stable
> 2.4 series, which has little if any adoption, and are equally lethargic
> about the actually stable-and-adopted 2.2 releases.  This is a thread
> which we have visited before many times, but I'd like to throw a new
> spin on it and consider whether we have taken several group decisions,
> and combined them into the worst results possible from the lot of them.
>
> My question to the group; is /repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/ actually
> a trunk?  Or is it a sandbox?  All ASF projects have one goal, which
> is to release open source code to the public at no charge.  What is
> currently brewing as /repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/ has a version #
> designation, but no plan to release, and no release in several years.
>
> I would humbly submit that with no plan to release, /trunk/ is simply
> a sandbox, and should be svn mv'ed to the appropriate svn branch for
> those developers to retrieve, maintain and later advance their proposals
> into an actual 2.5.0 release trunk at some future date.
>
> I'm watching a ton of mental gymnastics by the few who are willing to
> fight with this bureaucracy to commit to a non-release trunk, plea for
> backport votes, then perhaps get their code into 2.4 (which is not yet
> even distributed by anyone other than the ASF and adopted by almost no
> users at all).  The entire model, IMHO, is broken by mixing too many
> of our consensus concepts in the most inefficient manner.

Can you explain the current rush to release trunk a mere 18 months after we've released v2.4?
I don't see the urgency at all.

I also don't see any "mental gymnastics" going on, what I see is our Review Then Commit process
under strain because of a significant amount of activity on trunk. I believe this is not a
problem, activity is good.

Stability is good. I don't want the stuff going on in trunk to hit the stable branch without
those 3 +1 votes, even if the wait is painful.

If I could wave my magic wand I'd like to see more people get involved, but then activity
generates activity, so this is not a problem either.

Regards,
Graham