httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Ruggeri <DRugg...@primary.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] The 'RM' Baton
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2013 17:13:18 GMT
On 7/10/2013 7:13 AM, Eric Covener wrote:
> So my concern with the proposal  -- are there really wiling/able RM's
> waiting in the wings in these periods?  If they're there -- are they
> afraid of stepping on an RM's toes, or of drawing a line in the sane
> for the half-approved backports?
>
> (I have personally never RM'ed. To me it's intimidating and unknown
> and with a log of competing work it's hard to step up and tackle.
> Maybe we should make it make a condition of PMC membership at least
> once per decade?)

Sure, I can do this if it's a time thing. The doc [1] seems straight
forward enough and I can make the time to roll a release (though I
wouldn't mind a practice swing or two first). The guts of the procedure
itself seems like it could easily be scripted.

To get back on the topic, I don't see a lot of firm "no, you can't
release now because I'm not done working" messages. My perception is
that it boils down to a matter of time (or lack thereof) for the RM's.
There also isn't a guideline set forth that states exactly when to
release so that all too familiar
this-product-has-to-ship-on-July-8th-or-our-company-is-sunk pressure
that "motivates" devs isn't quite there.

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html#how-to-do-a-release

--
Daniel Ruggeri