httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [discuss] The 'RM' Baton [was: VOTE]
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2013 17:34:22 GMT
On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 09:22:06 -0400
Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:

> Considering that I've been the only RM for 2.4.x, I can't help but
> assume that Bill is referring to me.

Please be aware that I'm speaking of all recent RMs (the few of us,
as Eric hinted, which includes myself) and future RMs, and not solely
yourself or myself.

> As mentioned by others, by indicating a desire to T&R, it energizes
> people to catch up on STATUS, place their votes and propose backports.
> So it is *expected* that at a time when things should be the most
> "stable" (right before a "release"), that there is a flurry of
> activity. So what if it means a delay of a few weeks or even a month.
> The result is a *better* release for our users, which I think is
> even more important.

Note that the release windows we are discussing have been far longer
than a month (or I would not have bothered to bring this up), fair?
For example, 2.0.65 was lingering almost a year.  2.4.5 is now into
its second month, you offered to RM back in May.

If you are suggesting simply a longer window for an RM (you, I or
any committer) holding the baton of a release for a specific longer
period, I'd be happy to entertain that discussion.  And yet another
approach would be to issue a timed baton ('if the tree is ready, I
plan to T&R at the end of this week') passing on the baton to any
other prospective RM if they either have a different sense of the
tree's readiness, or if they have more availability the week after.

> Sure it would be nice to have releases more often, but that is due,
> IMO at least, to the difficulty in getting 3 +1 votes on anything
> but the most trivial of backports...

Agreed, and my other proposal addresses this.  Where backports have
not been readily sped to adoption, perhaps those need to sit out for
a release?  That would be little hardship if the subsequent release
were a couple months out.  It's a great hardship when that release
isn't expected for another half a year.

> I'm not gonna mention the irony of this whole proposal coming from
> the person it is coming from...

Refer to my first response, above :)