httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject [VOTE] The 'RM' Baton
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2013 06:41:07 GMT
Fellow httpd devs,

A major problem which has occurred repeatedly, since the rapid pace of
release candidates in the 2.0 series, is that the RM baton has been
announced and dropped on the ground for weeks, if not many months.  The
prime directive of open source at the ASF is to release early and to
release often, and the Apache HTTP Project is failing that directive.

Refer to http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html on our project's
RM rights and responsibilities.  Anyone, at any time, can propose
a release candidate.  No individual should ever be able to hijack
the project with the promise to do something they can't/won't actually
accomplish.

While we all get busy, and derailed by nice-to-have additions, the
activity 10:59 and 11:01 EDT Tuesday is a prime example of where the
desire to release the code conflicts with the desire to include even
more changes.  The pattern must be broken if we are to release code
to the public often and early, which brings us to a concrete proposal...

Proposed: An RM intent-to-tag announcement is valid for 10 days.  If
no prospective release has been tagged in those 10 days, the 'baton'
has been dropped, the RM's intent is nullified, and any committer is
encouraged to pick up that baton and proceed to tag a candidate for
release.

  +/-1
  [  ]  An intent-to-tag is valid for only 10 days