httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r952007 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/acinclude.m4
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2013 16:10:52 GMT
On 22.06.2013 15:26, Eric Covener wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 6:05 PM,  <rjung@apache.org> wrote:
>> Author: rjung
>> Date: Sun Jun  6 22:05:17 2010
>> New Revision: 952007

>> Log:
>> make shared moduled and module set "most" the default.
>>
>> Static building can be achieved with --enable-mods-static
>> or as previously using --enable-MODULE=static.
>> The existing --enable-mods-shared still works for
>> compatibility with existing build scripts.
>
> I just stumbled on this 2.4 difference. If someone passes
> --enable-mods-shared="foo bar baz" do you think module_selection
> should be reset? Currently you get the union of "most" and what you
> selected.

Configure docs page currently says:

====
Choosing modules to compile

Most modules are compiled by default and have to be disabled explicitly
or by using the keywords few or none (see --enable-modules,
--enable-mods-shared and --enable-mods-static below for further
explanation) to be removed.
====

So I'd say if one uses a plain --enable-MODULE=shared then the list
should not get reset. That's what I would find logical behavior.

Further down that page it says:

====
--enable-mods-shared=MODULE-LIST

    Defines a list of modules to be enabled and build as dynamic shared
modules. This mean, these module have to be loaded dynamically by using
the LoadModule directive.

    MODULE-LIST is a space separated list of modulenames enclosed by
quotation marks. The module names are given without the preceding mod_.
For example:

    --enable-mods-shared='headers rewrite dav'

    Additionally you can use the special keywords reallyall, all, most,
few and none.
====

And here I would say if you only give a list of modules, then the list
should be reset, ie. "most" should no longer be active.

Now what would we expect if you start mixing "most", "few" etc. and
module sets? I guest it would be best to only allow one occurrence of
--enable-mods-shared, hopefully that's already true.

The same docs page has a very outdated

====
Caveat: --enable-mods-shared=all does not actually build all modules. To
build all modules then, one might use:

./configure \
--with-ldap \
--enable-mods-shared="all ssl ldap cache proxy authn_alias file_cache
authnz_ldap charset_lite dav_lock cache_disk"
====

I hope the following statement is correct for 2.4: module set "all"
contains all modules except for experimental and debugging modules.
Module set "reallyall" also includes experimental and debugging modules.
That both wont build modules which have their build dependencies not
fulfilled (can't be build) should be obvious.

Regards,

Rainer