httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Matthew Steele <mdste...@google.com>
Subject Re: mod_ssl NPN API rejig (was Re: Intent to revert commit r1332643)
Date Wed, 29 May 2013 15:37:14 GMT
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 10:52:10AM -0400, Matthew Steele wrote:
> > - In modssl_register_npn, it appears that the code creates
> > new npn_advertfns and npn_negofns arrays on every call, even if they
> > already exist.  This would seem to prevent multiple modules from
> > registering callbacks.  Presumably this is not intended?  Am I misreading
> > the code?
>
> No, just a braino.  Updated patch attached.

Gotcha.  I'm not seeing a new attachment, though?

> > - The old optional hooks were both declared as RUN_ALL, but the new
> > implementation seems to stop calling callbacks as soon as one returns OK,
> > which is different behavior than before.  Is there a reason for this
> change?
>
> I was wondering about this.  The API description weakly implies that OK
> does something different to DECLINED in both cases, which is not true
> for RUN_ALL; so I presumed RUN_FIRST was desired.  Are RUN_ALL semantics
> desired?

Oops, yes, RUN_ALL semantics are desired; the misleading API description is
my fault, sorry.  (I confess I never really understood why RUN_ALL hooks
accept both OK and DECLINED values, but then don't actually treat them any
differently.)  So probably we should update the doc comments.  I'd be happy
to draft new versions for those if that would be helpful, or not, as you
prefer.

Thanks,
-Matthew