httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Reser <...@reser.org>
Subject Re: Symbol Resolution (Was: Whither Windows (Was: Re: Intent to revert commit r1332643))
Date Fri, 24 May 2013 19:37:31 GMT
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 8:13 AM, William A. Rowe Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> That fortunately is documented, with some pretty good notes in
> the wiki as well that aught to percolate into the docs.  That
> said, documenting every Microsoft-version-quirk seems out of
> scope for a general purpose 'compiling' doc.

The build system should be able to compile with the major tool chains,
nobody expects to know how to work around weird autoconf, make, gcc,
etc quirks on Linux.  I don't say this to be dismissive of anyones
contributions but just to point out that producing Windows builds with
a modern toolchain is not simple.

I did a bunch of work on scripting building the dependencies for
Subversion on Windows that's located here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/tools/dev/build-svn-deps-win.pl

By far httpd was the biggest pain of any of the dependencies to get to work.

If your only interest is building httpd on Windows with Visual Studio
2012, taking a look at build_httpd() in that file should give a good
starting point.

Sometime when I find the time I want to fix the problems that I had to
work around the right way and not the hackish way I did in that script
and submit them back.  But I haven't gotten to it.

I'll admit that I haven't tried to build httpd-trunk on Windows so
maybe improvements have been made that haven't made their way over to
the 2.4 releases, Subversion certainly has similar issues with our 1.7
release branch.