httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: URL scanning by bots
Date Wed, 01 May 2013 10:11:07 GMT
On 01 May 2013, at 11:34 AM, Marian Marinov <mm@yuhu.biz> wrote:

> Actually, what we are observing is completely opposite to what you are saying.
> Delaying spam bots, brute force attacks, and vulnerability scanners significantly decreases
the amount of requests we get from them.
> So, our observation tells us, that if you pretend that your machine is slow, the bots
abandon this IP and continue to the next one.

I don't see what difference this makes practically from the perspective of a bot. A server
that returns 404 to a bot is of no interest to that bot. Whether that bot gave up because
it saw a 404, or because it perceived the box to be too slow to bother is moot, in either
case the bot isn't interested in that host anyway.

Remember we're talking about bots, not people. Bots don't get bored, they don't get "dismayed"
or "disillusioned", they just crack on with the job they've been given to do, massively, in
parallel.

I think bots would prefer it if servers it wasn't interested in returned nothing, as it means
less incoming traffic for the bot to process, and potentially a lower chance that the bot
would be discovered.

Regards,
Graham