httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Guenter Knauf <>
Subject Re: Time for 2.4.5 ??
Date Fri, 24 May 2013 19:02:04 GMT
On 24.05.2013 14:40, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> There are a few things I'd like to see in 2.4.5, which would
> be significant for the 2.4.x release:
>    o The mod_lua stuff
ok, after spending a bunch of hours during last weeks with testing
mod_lua mainly on Windows I've finally removed my blocking vote from
STATUS just now; nevertheless I feel that I did only test half of all
the new stuff, and therefore my vote is +0.5 only ...
some things which I see as outstanding are:
- removal of the export declarations since they are unneeded (I will
take a look into this during this weekend if nobody beats me)
- removal of some doubled code ( ap_lua_check_request_rec() )
- another docu fix for r:sleep() --> r.sleep(); meanwhile I have a
stronger oppinion about this: I believe we should chage all functions to
r:function() in order to separate them more clearly from vars like
r.filename; further more I believe r.sleep() would be better renamed to
r.usleep() taking microseconds instead of having a r.sleep() and then
dealing with fractions of seconds - this way also the code would be
cleaner and no calculation of the passed-in value needed anymore, just
the value would get passed to apr_sleep().

Optional: I really would like to also have DBM support in addition to
the DBD support, but unfortunately I had not the time yet to look into
it ...

So how do we further proceed with mod_lua? There are certainly some
remaining issues, but it just takes too long for only 2 persons to find
them all; also I see with current code that it works fine when I compile
it with MSVC6 while compiled MSVC9 it crashes when things go wrong - not
sure yet if this is an issue with MSVC9 itself, or with the converted
projects ...; I think we should now copy over the complete trunk code to
2.4.x branch, and keep the status 'experimental' so that users are
warned that directives, functions, etc. might change even with an
otherwise stable release branch;
hopefully then when more users play with mod_lua we will make faster
progress with finding any further issues ...

also given that currently only Daniel and I (and Gregg with some
testing) care about mod_lua I would like that we make an exception for
this module so that we can backport any further modifications and fixes
directly to the 2.4.x branch until we declare the module as stable and

View raw message