httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net>
Subject Re: mod_ratelimit design mistake
Date Fri, 10 May 2013 21:11:28 GMT

Am 10.05.2013 22:38, schrieb Eric Covener:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:
>> https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_ratelimit.html
>>> Provides a filter named RATE_LIMIT to limit client bandwidth.
>>> The connection speed to be simulated is specified, in KiB/s
>>
>> compared with external "mod_bw.so" IMHO this is a design mistake
>>
>> * saying i have several virtual hosts
>> * my line has a capacity of 512 KB/Sec
>> * one of the virtual hosts starts to have high traffic and abuses my upstream
>> * "SetEnv rate-limit 256" limits each client to 256 KB/sec at it's own
>> * two of them abuse my upstream completly
>
> It sounds more useful, and far more complicated, to limit the overall
> bandwdith.

but possible and mod_bw did it at least 5 years ago

> But mod_ratelimit does what it says
> It's not fair to say whoever wrote it should have instead scratched the itch described
above

this was not meant as attack

i only was wondering by try to replace as most 3rd party modules as
possible with the capabilites of Apache 2.4 like mod_remoteip for
mod_rpaf does perfectly that "mod_ratelimit" will not fit

currently it's not hardly needed here because faster line
but in the times with DSL lines mod_bw did save more than once