httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Symbol Resolution (Was: Whither Windows (Was: Re: Intent to revert commit r1332643))
Date Fri, 24 May 2013 20:19:02 GMT
On Fri, 24 May 2013 21:53:50 +0200
Guenter Knauf <fuankg@apache.org> wrote:

> On 24.05.2013 21:37, Ben Reser wrote:
> > The build system should be able to compile with the major tool
> > chains, nobody expects to know how to work around weird autoconf,
> > make, gcc, etc quirks on Linux.  I don't say this to be dismissive
> > of anyones contributions but just to point out that producing
> > Windows builds with a modern toolchain is not simple.

> yeah ...; and from what I see our project files are already broken
> even when not converted and used directly with MSVC6, f.e. when doing
> a release build a bunch of files land in the debug folder, and
> finally at linking stage it breaks ...
> probably we should think about moving either to plain Nmakefiles (as
> Pierre Joy also suggested), or add a Cmake build system; for me SCon
> is no alternative since I saw it too often already fail on modern
> Linux boxes (with other projects), so I have no hope that it works
> any better on Windows ...

The concensus seems to be forming around cmake, and it is certainly
my preference from working with pcre and other libraries and projects.

But in the walk-before-you-run department, it's probably best to swap
the scons for cmake over at the apr project, and that will take our
most significant obstacle out of the way.  The httpd cmake will still
be quite complex, but not obnoxiously so, and our apr experience would
be beneficial to setting out a well thought out plan.