httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Whither Windows (Was: Re: Intent to revert commit r1332643)
Date Fri, 24 May 2013 15:23:35 GMT
On Fri, 24 May 2013 08:52:05 -0400
Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:

> Maybe the real question is where exactly do we stand with
> Windows right now...
>
> We haven't had (complimentary) binary builds for Windows in
> quite awhile and, afaict, there are really no people focusing
> on Windows compatibility anymore.

Thanks you just reminded me...

Another question is where exactly do we stand with OS/X right now?

Apple HFS+ is still not supported, there exists a forced lower-case
canonicalization hack authored by Apple, but AFAICT still no progress
on retrieving the true name of a file on a case-insensitive OS/X
volume which I suspect are still in common use on most OS/X boxen.
Of course, all the BSD-based file systems are strict case sensitive
and don't have security bypass issues when running 'vanilla' httpd.

Unfortunately I don't run an OS/X box anymore so it's awfully hard
for me to complete research on such a fix (and isn't so personally
interesting since my ppc laptop was retired for lack of OS updates).

Also wondering where the OS/X download lives?  It will build on any
OS/X box with a deployed toolchain, but I imagine many OS/X users
don't install that toolchain and live with the Apple provided
flavors, and would guess that 2.4.x is not part of that Apple OS
distributions so far.