httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <>
Subject Re: disable pid file writing?
Date Fri, 10 May 2013 00:22:41 GMT
On Wed, 08 May 2013 19:08:56 -0500
Daniel Ruggeri <> wrote:

> On 5/8/2013 3:29 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:
> > Careful: I didn't test it but we delete the pid file during web
> > server shutdown. That might remove /dev/null then.
> >
> > On a quick look through the code I had the impression you can not
> > easily get rid of the pid file.
> Agreed - setting to /dev/null under the current code also fails
> startup anyway with the following error:
> (20014)Internal error: Error retrieving pid file /dev/null
> Remove it before continuing if it is corrupted.
> I haven't looked into it any further than that, though.

Yes, to both concerns, it definately needs special treatment with
a strcmp() (as I had hinted in my original note).  But there isn't
a sane reason to honor /dev/null, whereas there's no reason you
couldn't name a pidfile 'none' in the serverroot directory.  That's
why I thought it would make a good no-pid sentinel value.

View raw message