httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: disable pid file writing?
Date Wed, 08 May 2013 18:06:49 GMT
On Mon, 6 May 2013 23:42:27 +0100
Tom Jones <tom@inpher.com> wrote:

> We use process supervision and don't have a use for pid files.  We
> are running multiple httpd instances, and have the config management
> to create a writable configured place for each instance to put its
> pid file.

Surely you have the very same problem with the various fcntl/mutex and
disk-backed shared mem segments, as well as log files?  This seems
fairly incidental to the big picture.

> This config management has some ongoing cost to maintain, and we would
> find it nicer if we could just disable pid files in our apache httpd
> configurations.

Of course apachectl requires this, but it's pretty clear you aren't
using apachectl in the first place...

> Before going further, I just wanted to get a feel for what others
> think of the idea of geing able to disable pid files.  If added,
> should it be done with a special value given to the PidFile directive
> (such as the empty string), or should a new directive be introduced
> such as DisablePidFile?

No, another directive simply confused the issue.  Wouldn't "/dev/null"
be the appropriate PidFile value, with special case handling of that
specific string?