httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <Dirk-Willem.van.Gu...@bbc.co.uk>
Subject Re: URL scanning by bots
Date Wed, 01 May 2013 11:37:22 GMT
On 1 mei 2013, at 13:31, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

> The evidence was just explained - a bot that does not get an answer quick enough gives
up and looks elsewhere.
> The key words are "looks elsewhere".

For what it is worth - I've been experimenting with this (up till about 6 months ago) on a
machine of mine. Having the 200, 403, 404, 500 etc determined by an entirely unscientific
'modulo' of the IP address. Both on the main URL as well as on a few PHP/plesk hole URLs.
And have ignored/behaved normal for any source IP that has (ever) fetched robot.txt from the
same IP masked by the first 20 bits.

That showed that bot's indeed slowdown/do-not-come back so soon if you give them a 403 or
similar - but I saw no differences as to which non 200 you give them (not tried slow reply
or no reply). Do note though that I was focusing on naughty non-robot.txt fetching bots.

Dw