httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Guenter Knauf <fua...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1469852 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/mod/mod_lua.xml
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2013 22:18:28 GMT
On 23.04.2013 23:49, Guenter Knauf wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
> On 20.04.2013 08:58, Daniel Gruno wrote:
>> Thanks for the invaluable help, it's really good knowing there's someone
>> else taking such an interest in this project! :) I hope that someday we
>> can shed mod_lua of its experimental status and people won't think me a
>> crazy person for recommending it left and right ;)
> naa, I find the module useful too for all sorts of smaller tasks as well
> as special httpd things which otherwise can only be done with a C module
> I believe ...
> now since I looked a bit at the code here and there I think there are
> some things which we should fix over the next months ...
>
> 1) the code formatting is not yet at our standard
> 2) the 'apache2' module does pollute the global table, and at 1st glance
> with my limited Lua experience I dont see why this happens; I've tested
> with other dynamically loaded modules like geoip, socket and apr (yeah,
> there exists a *very* *great* APR binding! [1]), and they all only
> create their own table and nothing global; it would be nice if we could
> either teach the apache2 module to behave same, or at least make it
> prelinked/preloaded and let it only plug in when enabled via 'require'.
> See attached script which shows what I mean ...
> 3) Since there exists a well done and well functioning APR binding we
> should probably consider to add some code to mod_lua so that its
> possible to prelink/preload this APR binding once at module start
> instead of loading it from every script again and again ...
> if we would agree on that we could even ditch a bunch of the recent APR
> adds, thus making mod_lua itself cleaner / smaller again + we would get
> almost the full power of APR into mod_lua ...
>
> Gün.
>
> [1] http://peterodding.com/code/lua/apr/

and two more things:
1) I found with my script that there is also a table apr_table created
with methods get and set but its not yet documented
2) I wonder why we do export some functions from mod_lua, and what could
make use of these?
But then again this is only a Lua newbie question, and I dont know
enough about the load process of mod_lua specially on Windows with its
external dependency to the Lua DLL and how this exactly works, probably
these exports are needed for Windows?

Gün.