httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <>
Subject Re: Apache 2.4 adoption
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 10:48:12 GMT
On 06 Feb 2013, at 12:22 PM, wrote:

> How many Linux distros ship httpd 2.4?
> Fedora 18 is their first release to include httpd 2.4.  Since Fedora is often an early
adopter of new releases, I expect 2.4 hasn't trickled down to other distributions yet, e.g.
> It looks like 2.4 has only got as for as Debian experimental:
> Ubuntu haven't adopted it yet:
> Of course the next question could be why have distros not adopted 2.4, is it just a matter
of time or are there other factors?

Speaking for myself, the major barrier to adoption for me is support by third party modules.

What I mean by "support" is that the third party module has completed httpd v2.4 support,
and has made a formal release of code with this support in place, and that code is stable.
Further to that, the dependent modules must also be available as OS packages. It has been
many years since I deployed naked "make install" code onto a box, formal packaging and the
ability to roll forward and roll back is mandatory for me, and it has taken a while for these
packages to appear.

View raw message