httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail T." <mi+t...@aldan.algebra.com>
Subject Re: Can a module find out, whether another module is present?
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 23:53:53 GMT
On 05.02.2013 18:25, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> If in the Apache parent process, you would still have to call Tcl_Finalize()
> at some point wouldn't you to ensure that all memory is reclaimed?
I don't think so. If only because after calling Tcl_Finalize(), any other calls
into libtcl are "undefined" -- not supposed to happen. So, it can not be done on
graceful restart anyway. From Tcl's man-page:

    Tcl_Finalize is similar to Tcl_Exit except that it does not  exit  from
    the  current  process.   It is useful for cleaning up when a process is
    finished using Tcl but wishes to continue executing, and when  Tcl  is
    used  in  a  dynamically loaded extension that is about to be unloaded.
    Your code should always invoke Tcl_Finalize when Tcl is being unloaded,
    to  ensure  proper cleanup. Tcl_Finalize can be safely called more than
    once.

> One of the flaws early on in mod_python was that it didn't destroy the Python
> interpreter. When an Apache restart was done, mod_python and the Python
> library would be unloaded from memory. When the in process startup was done
> after rereading the configuration Apache would load them again. Because it was
> reloaded it was a completely clean set of static variables holding interpreter
> state and so interpreter had to be reinitialised.
websh is already doing just the Tcl_DeleteInterpreter -- for the interpreter /it
created/. That seems like the right thing to do anyway.

If websh is wrong (and mod_rivet is right) in that an explicit call to
Tcl_Finalize is needed for an exiting process, then we are coming back to my
original question. Registering it as a clean-up call for the process' pool (as
wrowe@ suggested) seems like the best approach to that.

Yours,

    -mi