httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: Apache 2.4 adoption
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2013 21:09:44 GMT
On Wednesday 06 February 2013, pfee@talk21.com wrote:
> How many Linux distros ship httpd 2.4?
>
> Fedora 18 is their first release to include httpd 2.4.  Since
> Fedora is often an early adopter of new releases, I expect 2.4
> hasn't trickled down to other distributions yet, e.g. RHEL,
> CentOS.
>
> It looks like 2.4 has only got as for as Debian experimental:
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=apache

The major blocker for Debian was also the missing mod_perl. But the
2.4 release also happened at a somewhat unfortunate point of time in
the Debian release cycle, so that it would have been a tight race to
get 2.4 in shape in time for Debian 7.0. But right now Debian is
frozen due to the (hopefully soon) release and no major changes are
made in the unstable or testing branches.

And since Ubuntu and all other derivative distributitions pull their
packages from one of these two branches from Debian, none of them is
getting 2.4 before Debian has released 7.0. At least not unless they
invest significant time themselves to do the packaging and testing.