httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Welly Madya Putra Tambunan <Welly.Tambu...@petrolink.com>
Subject Re: Apache Web Socket Support
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2013 01:37:26 GMT
Thanks Eric for the response,

> Do you want to proxy websockets or terminate websockets in Apache?
What's the preferable approach ? Should we integrate the module to the
Apache Server or proxy the connection to a dedicated websocket server ?

> This doesn't really make much sense as HTTP uses persistent connections.

I quote this from stackoverflow
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11334320/using-websocket-on-apache-server
"However, the fundamental problem is that Apache wasn't built with
maintaining many persistent connections in mind. It, along with PHP, is
built on the idea that requests are made and responses are quickly sent
back. This means that resources can very quickly be used up if you are
holding requests open and you're going to need to look into horizontal
scaling pretty quickly."

So it is possible for Apache Architecture to add another module for
handling Websocket ? Without sacrificing the performance and scalabilty ?

Sorry for the question, i'm still new to Apache and very interested
knowing how it can accomodate websocket.

Cheers

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM, Welly Madya Putra Tambunan
<Welly.Tambunan@petrolink.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm a new member of this mailing list and interested knowing is there
any
> plan supporting Websocket for Apache ?

There has not been a lot of interest on this list. Do you want to
proxy websockets or terminate websockets in Apache?

> Based on my search, i found a module to do this, but it isn't updated
yet.
> https://github.com/disconnect/apache-websocket
>
> Any chance that the module will be included in Apache ?

There has been no discussion of this particular module.

> Also i found in StackOverflow conversation that Apache httpd wasn't
design
> to maintain persistent connection, is that true ?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11334320/using-websocket-on-apache-server

This doesn't really make much sense as HTTP uses persistent connections.

Welly Tambunan

.NET Software Developer
Petrolink Services Indonesia
Office Phone     : +62 21 252 2203
Indonesia Cell  : +62 812 8421 0208
Fax                       : +62 21 252 2205

This email is the property of Petrolink International. This transmission
may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the information contained
herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
If you received this transmission in error, please contact the sender and
delete the material from any computer immediately. Thank you