httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Time to rewrite/rethink modules.apache.org?
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:02:21 GMT

On 19 Jan 2013, at 23:26, Daniel Gruno wrote:

> Hello dear dev@,
>
> I'd like to propose that we rewrite and rethink modules.apache.org.

Aha, the perennial call of the new contributor :)

Seriously though, thanks for taking up this old chestnut.
Let me throw my usual suggestion in to the ring, and see if
your enthusiasm can inspire me to start hacking this time round.

Since the modules are written by multiple independent developers,
maintenance of the index should be delegated to those same folks.
An author should not have to trouble the index every time they make
an update.

That means, m.a.o should basically be an aggregator.

Each contributor produces a DOAP file describing their module(s).
m.a.o runs a simple bot that crawls those files and aggregates
the contents.  Human intervention is only required when a new
contributor submits a new DOAP URL.  Or if problems are spotted.

Automated procedures then check the DOAP and notify parse errors.
It can also notify of new pages introduced (the contents at a DOAP URL
may describe more than one module), and major changes to existing
pages.

That leaves just the question of search and browse tools.
I guess we can offer browse by a range of categories and keywords,
but for free text search I'd delegate to a google search (possibly hidden).

--
Nick Kew