httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: event mpm and mod_status
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2013 17:04:24 GMT
On Thursday 10 January 2013, Niklas Edmundsson wrote:
> To reiterate back to the event mpm / mod_status integration, are
> there any work in progress on implementing a more verbose status
> display for the event mpm? I'm thinking of something that can show
> all requests currently being processed like we have today for
> prefork/worker. The current "thread status" thingie is probably
> interesting too, but more from a developer/server diag point of
> view.
>
> How hitech does it have to be? Would using mod_socache for storage
> be a reasonable way to do it? Personally I find it a bit rough
> around the edges (no locking for example, so all users have to use
> a single big lock for all access), but perhaps it's good enough
> anyway?
>
> As it stands this seems to be the only blocker for us trying to use
> the event mpm for file archive serving, so if there's any work
> being done on the subject I'm very interested :)

I am not aware of anyone working on this.

I agree that mod_socache may be a bit heavy-weight for this, but one
would need to test that. There is also mod_slotmem_shm, but AFAICS
that requires to know the size in advance. So one would have to
allocate AsyncRequestWorkerFactor times (max number of threads) slots
to have one slot per connection.

This would still not give the full picture, because with pipelining,
there can be several (5 or 6, I think) requests active on one
connection: zero or one being processed by a worker and the rest doing
write completion. I am not sure how much effort one should put into
displaying that correctly in mod_status, though.