httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1422584 - /httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/STATUS
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2012 13:33:21 GMT
The only time this needs to be off is when using the Balancer
Manager to adjust Balancers and Workers... As such, I think I
was a bit over-eager in what conf-> fields needed to be worried
about.

Here's the problem:
If a balancer is defined in the top-level server, then it
is inherited by all vhosts. But balancers themselves are
server-specific. Normally, this makes no difference, but
when dynamically changing balancer and worker parameters,
you want to be able to ensure that you are only changing
the params for a specific balancer/worker associated with
that particular server (vhost) and not for "everyone",
which is the potential since those params are stored in
shared mem. By ensuring that each server has their own
"private" set of balancers and workers, we avoid the
problem.

On Dec 17, 2012, at 5:03 AM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

> On 17 Dec 2012, at 11:23 AM, Rainer Jung <rainer.jung@kippdata.de> wrote:
>
>> That's the whole purpose of the "ProxyPassInherit Off" setting. If you
>> switch the global setting from "On" to "Off", then global proxy targets
>> and workers are not merged to any vhost. If you switch to "Off" only in
>> a VHost, then only that VHost does not inherit (merge) the globally
>> defined ones. If you switch to "Off" globally but again to "On" in a
>> VHost, then only those VHosts will inherit.
>
> Ok, I see this now, but only after reading the above paragraph three times and the code
a few times more.

> This is a special edge case that goes against the typical behaviour of all the other
directives in the server, and as a result will confuse the life out of any admin who hasn't
seen this before. The documentation at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxypassinherit
needs to define two things:

> - An accurate list of the exact directives affected by this directive. "ProxyPass Balancers
and Workers" is not accurate enough.

> - An accurate description of the "issues and inconsistent behaviour" that the admin is
likely to experience if they don't turn this directive off.

> The admin is probably going to find this directive after searching for a problem in google,
we need to make sure that google search is going to lead directly to this directive.