httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: What happens, when a CGI program is invoked?
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 12:46:44 GMT
On 05 Dec 2012, at 2:27 PM, "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com> wrote:
> [...]
vhost than mod_rivet and websh…
>> Are the configurations for these expensive modules defined server wide? This could
be an issue where other configuration is leaking into your virtual hosts, and is running when
not necessary.
> No, the modules are only configured inside the vhosts, where they are used -- and these
happen to be different from the vhost, where I invoke the CGI.

> But, it would seem, the modules' hooks are invoked simply because they are LoadModule-ed
in…

That is intentional - if a module has hooked itself into a hook, then the server will call
the module's hook as the module asked the server to. The server isn't in a position to second-guess
a module, if a module asked to be hooked in, the server will respect this assuming the module
knows what it wants to do.

If a module is hooking itself into the server, then running some expensive processing during
the hooks but then declines to handle the hook, this is wasteful. This is a module bug, not
a server bug.

Regards,
Graham