httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: What happens, when a CGI program is invoked?
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 09:43:57 GMT
On 05 Dec 2012, at 9:17 AM, "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com> wrote:
>> Back to that "maybe" answer, I don't know how well mod_rivet or websh
>> are written, and whether they might impose a gratuitous overhead.
>> Perhaps you could raise your concerns with their developers?
> It certainly may be a module-specific thing, but it seemed to me, there should be some
generic way of bypassing a module's initialization completely, if a request will not be handled
by a module.

The hook mechanism provides exactly this, a module should only hook into the hooks it intends
to use. At the next level, if a module does hook itself in, it should make the decision as
to whether it intends to do anything during the hook as cheaply as possible, typically by
checking a flag.

> In my case, for example, the CGI-invocation belongs to a completely different vhost than
mod_rivet and websh…

Are the configurations for these expensive modules defined server wide? This could be an issue
where other configuration is leaking into your virtual hosts, and is running when not necessary.

Regards,
Graham