httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Wang <aw...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Win32 src bundles for Apache
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2012 21:30:26 GMT
On 12/18/2012 02:45 PM, Gregg Smith wrote:
> On 12/18/2012 9:00 AM, Yehuda Katz wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Andy Wang <awang@ptc.com
>> <mailto:awang@ptc.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     This was brought up a while ago that the Apache 2.4.x and 2.2.23
>>     builds were lacking the win32 source bundle.  There was some
>>     discussion about how to build these bundles:
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/201209.mbox/%3C506243E0.3050108%40apache.org%3E
>>

> I see no discussion on the source bundles, just mention that I also
> made them and where I store them.

I have to admit, I use the term discussion loosely.  I took this comment:

> This *really* seems like some tribal knowledge that more
> people should have...

As "discussion" :)

> The difference between the win32 and unix sources are the line endings
> (Win's  vs. Unix's) and the .mak & .dep files. These make & dependency
> files have been exported from Visual C++ 6, which was the last version
> that would export them.
>
> For 2.2.23 you could take these files from the 2.2.22 win32 source,
> nothing has changed that will affect the build. Unix sources do not
> include apr-iconv so you could just drag the entire srclib\apr-iconv
> folder from 2.2.22 into 2.2.23's srclib folder. apr-iconv has not
> changed between the two Apache releases. At the command line run lineends
> c:\httpd-2.2.23> perl srclib\apr\build\lineends.pl
>
> Now you have a win32 source package of 2.2.23
>
> For a Win32 IDE build, you can build straight from the Unix source
> package. You just need to also download apr-iconv and run lineends on
> entire unix source package.

I thought perhaps that was all that's necessary, so before your package
was made available I had tried.  I grabbed apr-iconv to match up with
the older 2.2.22 win32 src bundle. I didn't use the lineends.pl command
(didn't see it there) but instead on the unix side unix2dos'ed all the
files.  I tried to nmake using the Makefile.win file and it blew up
somewhere under pcre with an expat dependency problem.  I wonder if the
.mak & .dep file step would have helped.
>> I think half the trouble was actually getting it to compile reliably
>> on Windows. (I have not tried too hard, but I know I have not been
>> able to do it.)
>> You can find instructions for x64 builds at
>> http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Win64Compilation
>> I don't know how different the x86 build would be.
>>
> One extra step in x64 and different command line arguments for
> building openssl & zlib.
> Where the above linked build instructions talk about making a store.h
> file for OpenSSL 1.0.0, that and one other is needed for OpenSSL
> 1.0.1. Neither are needed if built from the VC++ IDE.
>
> There's a good set of x86 command line build instructions here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Win32VC9Build
>
> There is also a section for building Apache in the forums at both
> Apache Haus and Apache Lounge should one have problems.

I have actually never had any problems reliably building from the
command line using nmake and Visual C++ 6.0 and the Windows 2003 SP1 SDK
using the win32-src.zip packages that have been created in the past.  I
also had no problems using my build process with the 2.2.23 win32-src
zip package you created.  When I get a chance, I will try to repeat the
process you just laid out from the regular src tarball and see if it works.

Thanks,
Andy