httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: What happens, when a CGI program is invoked?
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 08:03:26 GMT

On 5 Dec 2012, at 07:17, Mikhail T. wrote:

> In my case, for example, the CGI-invocation belongs to a completely different vhost than
mod_rivet and websh...
> -mi

The vhost context is available throughout request processing, so you
can use it to hold configuration data that'll determine whether Feature X
(like a Tcl interpreter) will be required.  That would indeed probably
make sense if there might otherwise be ambiguity.

FWIW, since my previous reply, I've recollected how I dealt with
Tcl interpreters when I wrote a module requiring them.
Rather than initialise and destroy them per-request, the module
maintained a dynamic pool of them, so when a request requires a
Tcl interpreter it would take one from the pool, and return it when done.
That is, if my recollection (from about 2005) is correct!

--
Nick Kew