httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: apache style
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2012 17:33:50 GMT
On Saturday 08 December 2012, Fabien wrote:
> I'm having a look at : http://httpd.apache.org/dev/styleguide.html
> which seems to date back 15 years. However when I compile Apache
> trunk on my laptop, the configuration selects "gcc -std=gnu99".
>
> Thus I'm wondering whether I could use C99 bold "// comments" or
> declarations that can appear where their really needed, or whether
> I'm implicitely expected to use conservative C89 anyway.

No. Everything that should work under Windows and Netware needs to
work with C89.

> If the later is the right option, should not it be enforced
> explicitly through configure?

The logging macros use some C99 specific constructs if available, but
fall back to C89 compatibility (which is slightly less efficient in
that case). Therefore, -std=c89 is not really an option. We use some
"-Werror=..." options when compiling with --enable-maintainer-mode,
though.