httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1406719 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES docs/log-message-tags/next-number include/http_core.h server/core.c server/protocol.c
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2012 10:26:55 GMT
On Wed, 7 Nov 2012, Tim Bannister wrote:

>>> It feels wrong targeting 0.9 only, would it be possible to do this in a generic
way, say by listing the ones accepted, or by specifying a minimum?

>> Any suggestions for a syntax? Maybe:
>>
>> HttpProtocol 1.1	# only 1.1
>> HttpProtocol 1.0-	# 1.0 and above
>> HttpProtocol 1.0-1.1	# 1.0 and 1.1
>> HttpProtocol -1.0	# 1.0 and below
>
> Does it need its own directive? How about a new environment variable and Require:
>
> Require expr %{HTTP_PROTOCOL} -gt 1.1
>

> I realise that won't work as things stand, because -gt only handles integers. Maybe another
binary operator could allow decimals?

> NB. SERVER_PROTOCOL would not be suitable because the initial “HTTP/” makes it harder
to do math.

I would prefer a dedicated directive: If you use authorization for that,
you have to take care that it is not overriden by per-directory authz
directives. Also, while evaluating an ap_expr is faster than e.g. using
mod_lua, it is still a relatively complex operation. And I expect a lot of
admins would like to disable 0.9, so having a way that has only minimal
impact on performance would be better. Finally, I am not 100% sure that
there are no code paths that cause a HTTP/0.9 error response to be sent
before the Requrire or <If> is executed. The dedicated directive is
certain to catch all uses of HTTP/0.9.