httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Issac Goldstand <mar...@beamartyr.net>
Subject Re: The Case for a Universal Web Server Load Value
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2012 07:01:00 GMT
On 15/11/2012 00:48, Tim Bannister wrote:
> On 14 Nov 2012, at 22:19, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:
>
>> I know I am fighting the tide here, but it's really the wrong smarts to put in the
load balancer.

>> The backend should/can know if it can take more requests.  When it can't it shouldn't
and the load balancer shouldn't pass that back to the end-user but rather just find another
available server or hold on to the request until one becomes available (or some timeout value
is met if things are that bad).

> This only makes sense for idempotent requests. What about a POST or PUT?

What's the problem?  LB will get the request, send OPTIONS * to the
backends to find an available one and only then push the POST/PUT back
to it...

   Issac