httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: Volunteers to drive an MSI build
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 09:26:09 GMT

----- Original Message -----
> > the only point to resolve is that Gregg cant do the releases self
> > but needs
> > a PMC for signing and putting up the artifacts - but I'm willing to
> > assist
> > with that once we get some agreement to put his stuff up
>
> Sorry for not commenting earlier .  I'm +0.9 (+1 but know this stuff
> is not up my alley).
>
> I don't think we need to wait for these to be perfect, but we should
> somehow telegraph that the build/packaging of contributed Windows
> binaries is a work in progress.

I believe there's a couple of things we all sort of agree on:

* current state is not welcomed by users and "early" adopters

* we (the ASF) should provide an official Windows Build

* That's a big task, so we should start with small steps:

  * Getting the damn thing to build with the latest VC
  * Getting it to build without babysitting
  * using that build to create something that can be installed
    one way or another: zip, msi, whatevz
  * (semi) automating the build

This effort doesn't have to be driven by a single person.
Particularly because the single steps may require different kinds
of skills and talents. (Speaking with my OpenCSW Hat on: Building
software for a "non standard" platform is boring and frustrating ;)

So long,

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org