httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: Volunteers to drive an MSI build
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 15:42:21 GMT

----- Original Message -----
> On 11/28/2012 1:26 AM, Igor Galić wrote:
> > I believe there's a couple of things we all sort of agree on:
> > * current state is not welcomed by users and "early" adopters
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by current state. Regardless, early
> adopters
> know no better.
> > * we (the ASF) should provide an official Windows Build
> >
> > * That's a big task, so we should start with small steps:
> >
> >    * Getting the damn thing to build with the latest VC
> I disagree, I think we should use one where the current mod_php will
> load (i.e. match versions)
> which is currently VC9 (2008). Also, I know no one wants to support
> XP
> or Server 2003, but these are being used and will stick around till
> completely dead (April 2014 IIRC). The "latest" VC builds will not
> run
> on either these OSs.

I think the main reason I consider this to be a good idea is that
supporting a stable 2.4 ABI with VC9 means committing to a compiler
which is already 4 years old.

PHP doesn't support our builds, they support Apache Lounge's.
Apache Lounge uses VC9 because of PHP, I presume.

> >    * Getting it to build without babysitting
> define babysitting.

* it can be scripted and hence executed on a buildbot
* it doesn't break with every new release

> >    * using that build to create something that can be installed
> >      one way or another: zip, msi, whatevz
> >    * (semi) automating the build
>
> Gregg

Has anyone consider that in the meanwhile we update our
website to officially endorse ApacheLounge?

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org