httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Help reqd. for httpd-2.4.2
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 13:19:41 GMT
On 10 Oct 2012, at 1:55 PM, Jitesh Verma <jitesh.verma@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have ported httpd-2.4.2 to a network embedded box running Linux on Xscale hardware.
We have two modules of our own to handle XML requests from our Applets. We have added all
the 80 odd .so modules (that get built with default "configure" settings) in httpd.conf.

Is there a specific problem you're trying to solve by adding all 80 modules to your server?
Ideally, you should only load the modules you need, and no more.

> We are able to access the box's GUI/Applets with "Listen 80" directive in the httpd.conf.
> However, when we add another directive "Listen 9000" to httpd.conf, httpd does not respond
to HTTP request sent to port 80. The following requests from Internet Explorer fails to get
any response from httpd:
> http://192.168.0.1
> http://192.168.0.1:80
> http://192.168.0.1:9000
>
> Wireshark packet trace indicates that the request packet is correctly sent to TCP port
80 when request http://192.168.0.1 is sent from browser. However, the outgoing packet is missing
from the packet trace. It seems httpd did not generate any response (not even "File not found"
response).

TCP involves the exchange of many packets to establish a connection, and if a connection is
not successfully established you cannot expect a higher level response of any kind. I would
first ensure that a TCP connection is possible to establish properly before worrying about
something running above it.

> "netstat -tnlp" command shows httpd listening on both TCP port 80 and 9000.
> /var/log/access_log indicates that the incoming packet reached httpd.
> Gateway/firewall data indicates that both TCP ports 80 and 9000 are open in both the
directions (incoming and outgoing).
working fine (starts serving http://192.168.0.1 request).
> We have enabled and configured "debugging" and "loggers" modules. Still, /var/log/error_log
and /var/log/messages do not show any error or warning.

> We thought adding another "Listen" directive to httpd.conf is a child's play, but it
seems to be a humongous task.

Multiple Listen statements is a standard thing in many installs of the server, and will be
done by definition if a server supports both http and https. It is definitely not a humungous
task.

> Are we missing something? Am I doing something wrong?? Is it a bug??? Can someone help
in this forum? How to debug this issue?

> Please find attached httpd.conf and configure wrapper script (configure.wrapper) used
for configuring and building httpd and its components.

Looking at your configure script that looks very wrong - you've overridden all sorts of low
level options without indicating clearly why you've done so. As you're on what seems like
custom hardware, I would get apr and apr-util built clean and all tests run successfully before
even looking at httpd. Httpd relies heavily on apr and apr-util, and if these underlying libraries
haven't been installed or configured properly httpd and any other app that depends on apr/apr-util
are certain not to work.

Regards,
Graham