httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Jacobs <ejac...@bluehost.com>
Subject [patch] Fix cross-user symlink race condition vulnerability
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 04:46:47 GMT
There is a race condition vulnerability in httpd 2.2.23 (also present in
previous releases) that allows a malicious user to serve arbitrary files
from nearly anywhere on a server that isn't protected by strict os level
permissions. In a shared hosting environment, this is a big vulnerability.

If you would like more information on the exploit itself, please let me
know. I have a proof of concept that is able to hit the exploit with
100% success.

This is my first patch submitted to Apache, so I'm sorry if I've missed
something. I'm aware that this doesn't meet some of the code standards
that are in place (e.g, it doesn't work at all on Windows), but I wanted
to put it out there anyway.

The patch that fixes the vulnerability is attached. Thank you in advance
for the feedback.

--

Eric Jacobs
Junior Systems Administrator