httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: DNT & IE10 (was svn commit: r1371878 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/conf/httpd.conf.in)
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2012 16:31:27 GMT
I think we are all in agreement, however, that MS is
violating the standard... are we not?

With that as a given, do we Do Nothing? I don't think so;
We shouldn't, by action or inaction, permit violations. Now,
with that as a given, the question is How Do We Respond.

At the very least, the commit sparked some interest and
involvement, even if much of it was worthless and clueless.
I like the idea of using that as a "door-opener" for an
Open Letter. Ideally, in that letter we explain the problem
and the rationale for the commit, we also explain how
to *remove* the "offending" commit (even though it's pretty
ez of course) and that we are keeping the commit in place
until such time as MS changes course, but we are aware that
it could affect adversely affect "innocent" users and so
we want to make sure that they have all the info they need
to remove it.

The idea is to restore the transparency... If we had made a
more public "splash" about this, maybe it wouldn't have created
such a storm of uncluefull backlash; it's the idea that we
did something "sneaky", I think, is what some people find
(understandably) upsetting.