httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@links.org>
Subject Re: how to avoid balancer manager nonce?
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2012 11:10:09 GMT
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Tony Stevenson <pctony@apache.org> wrote:

> On 5 Sep 2012, at 11:57, Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>
>> FWIW, I have time this week to impl this...
>>
>> Feedback/Concerns?
>
> Only the term 'nonce' - It has very unfortunate connotations from UK english. [1]  :-)

Sadly, we lost that battle a long time ago, it is a term of art in
crypto/security - which is why, btw, I want to know what it is
actually used for, because generally predictable nonces are a _really
bad idea_, and that is what is currently proposed. I'm assuming that
whoever wrote the code wasn't a complete idiot and did not use
cryptographic randomness for no reason. But perhaps they did, as Jim
seems to think.