httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: how to avoid balancer manager nonce?
Date Sat, 08 Sep 2012 15:25:37 GMT

On Sep 5, 2012, at 7:42 AM, Rainer Jung <rainer.jung@kippdata.de> wrote:

> On 31.08.2012 15:45, Eric Covener wrote:
>> I'm fighting a problem on new releases of AIX where in some
>> environments, /dev/random seems to run out of entropy way too quick.
>>
>> I'd like a way to suppress the apr_uuid_get->
>> apr_generate_random_bytes() in mod_proxy_balancer used for the
>> balancer-manager nonce in affected environments.
>
> Doesn't it only call apr_uuid_get() during creation of the balancer worker? So IMHO it
should be only a problem during startup.

Yep, at least as far as I can recall... The actual call is done via ap_proxy_define_balancer().

>> I was thinking a global "BalancerManager off" could be used for this
>
> For 2.4 there already seems to be a configurable "nonce" attribute for each balancer
allowing the special value "None". Not so for 2.2.

But the call to apr_uuid_get() is still done, even if the person
used the nonce attribute. Thats what I suggested fixing...